To be sure that I remember everything I need for a vacation I write a list of what I need and what I want to bring with me. If you have written a travel packing list once you can also use it next time you’re traveling, if it’s the same kind of vacation. Without a list it’s easy to forget something. At least it is for me. In this post you’re getting a few tips on what to write down on a packing list.
I have written a post about what to bring in your hand luggage. You can read that here or by clicking the photo underneath.
You need different kind of clothes for different kinds of travels and activities. Think through what kind of vacation it is you’re going for: is it warm or cold where you’re going? Is it a vacation where the main focus is relaxation or is it a vacation full of activities? Here are some suggestions for your list:
- Casual wear – sweaters, pants, t-shirts, shorts and so on.
- Socks and underwear
- Formal wear for eating at a fine dining restaurant for example – dresses, blouses, shirts, pants (it’s often a requirement with long pants for men in finer restaurants)
- Swimwear – also check if it is necessary to bring towels where you are going as this takes a lot of space in the suitcase
- Warmer clothing if you’re going somewhere cold – jacket, hat, scarf, gloves, thermal underwear and so on
- Exercise clothes / clothing that are good to move in if you are planning to work out or be active in other ways
- A jacket or cardigan for potentially cooler evenings
Here we probably have very different needs for how much we want to bring with us, but here are some things that can be nice to have in the toilet bag:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Razor and foam/cream/gel
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- For the ladies: The make-up you usually use – mascara, foundation ++, and make-up remover
- Hair wax or hair spray if you use this
- Hair brush and hair ties
- Moisturizing cream
- Lip balm
- Nail clipper
Here you also have to think through what kind of vacation it is. Anyways is it wise to bring shoes that are comfortable walking longer distances in. And then you have to consider for yourself if you need flip-flops, sandals, hiking shoes, running shoes, dress shoes, and so on.
When clothes, shoes and toiletries are packed you’re more or less ready to go. Is it really anything else you need to bring in your suitcase? The other important things, like passport and money, are in your hand luggage. But I always bring with me lots of other stuff as well, some things more important than others. It wouldn’t be a great packing list without something extra, wouldn’t it?
Other stuff for your packing list
- Sunscreen and aftersun if you’re going somewhere sunny and warm
- Sunglasses, caps/hat
- A small backpack or bag (if you can’t use your hand luggage)
- Glasses and/or contact lenses
- (Blister) plasters
- Mosquito/insect repellent
- Games – there are several games in travel editions, and it’s always fun with a deck of cards
- Bottle opener
There is probably a lot more to bring with you in your suitcase that I have forgotten to mention, so please leave a comment if there’s something important I didn’t mention here. This post is, as i mentioned, ment to give you some tips on what to write down on a packing list. You have to consider for yourself what you need for your vacation.
Do you usually pack a lot with you when traveling, or are you good at only sticking to the necessary?